Casey Paul Griffiths was born and raised in Delta, Utah. He served a mission in Fort Lauderdale, Florida before returning home to complete a B.A. degree in History at Brigham Young University (2002). He later earned a M.A. In Religious Education and a PhD in Educational Leadership and Foundations at BYU (2007, 2012). His studies focused on the development of religious education programs among the Latter-day Saints. Prior to joining the faculty in Religious Education at BYU, Brother Griffiths served in Seminaries and Institutes for eleven years as a teacher and a curriculum writer. His research focuses on the history of religious education among Latter-day Saints, the history of the Church in the Pacific, and diverse movements associated with the Restoration. He is married to Elizabeth Ottley Griffiths and they live in Saratoga Springs with their three adorable children.
Courses Taught: Doctrine and Covenants (REL C 324, 325), Foundations of the Restoration (REL C 225), The Eternal Family (Rel 200), The Living Prophets (Rel 333)
Areas of Expertise: Doctrine and Covenants, LDS educational history, 20th century LDS Church history, Global LDS Church History with emphasis on the Pacific
Areas of Research: History of Seminaries and Institutes, Global LDS Education, Restoration Movements, Consecration practices
Research InterestsHistory of Latter-day Saint Religious Education, Practices of Consecration, Interfaith relationships among different branches of Mormonism, International Mormonism.
Teaching InterestsDoctrine & Covenants, Foundations of the Restoration, The Eternal Family, Teachings of the Living Prophets, Presidents of the Church, Missionary Preparation.
- PhD, Educational Leadership and Foundations , History, Brigham Young University (2012)
- M.A., Religious Education , Brigham Young University (2007)
Honors and Awards
- Nomination for Best Historical Article, John Whitmer Historical Association (2018 - 2019)
- Best International Article Award, Mormon History Association (2014 - 2014)
- American Academy of Religion (2014 - 2015)
- History of Education Society (2014 - 2015)
- John Whitmer Historical Association (2014 - 2015)
- Religious Education Association (2014 - 2015)
- Mormon History Association (2008 - 2015)