Mary Jane Woodger, Ed.D., is a professor of Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University . Born and raised in American Fork and Salt Lake City , Utah , Mary Jane has always had a great love for teaching. After obtaining a bachelor’s degree in home economics education, she taught home economics and American history in Salt Lake City . She then completed her master of education degree at Utah State University, and received from Brigham Young University a doctor of education degree in educational leadership, with a minor in Church history and doctrine. Since then, Dr. Woodger has written and published over twenty books including three books about the life and teachings of David O. McKay. She has also authored numerous articles on doctrinal, historical, and educational subjects. These articles have appeared in various academic journals, as well as the Journal of Mormon History, Mormon Historical Studies, the Ensign, and The Religious Educator. Awards Dr. Woodger has received include the Richard Lloyd Anderson Research Award, Best Article of the Year Award from the Utah Historical Society, the Brigham Young University Faculty Women’s Association Teaching Award, The Harvey B. Black and Susan Easton Black Outstanding Publication Award and the Alice Louise Reynolds Women-in-Scholarship Honor.
Courses Taught: Teachings of the Living Prophets, Twentieth-Century Church History, Doctrine and Covenants
Areas of Expertise: Twentieth-century Church history, Latter-day Saint women's history, and Church education
Research InterestsTwentieth-Century Church History, Latter-day Saint women's history, and Church education.
Teaching InterestsTeachings of the Living Prophets, Twentieth Century CHurch History
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Award, Brigham Young University Faculty Women's Association (2006 - Present)
- Best Article Award, Utah Historical Quarterly (2005 - Present)
- Alpha Tau Chapter Award of Excellence, Kappa Omicron Nu (1998 - Present)
- Award of Excellence, The Crystal Communicator (1997 - Present)
- Latter-day Saint Publishing and Media Association Honorable Mention Praiseworthy Award for Gospel Topic:50 Relics of the Restoration , Latter-day Saint Publishing and Media Association (2021 - 2021)
- The Harvey B. Black and Susan Easton Black Outstanding Publication , Brigham Young University Religious Education (2012 - 2013)
- Alice Louise Reynolds Women-in-Scholarship Lecture, Brigham Young University Harold B. Lee Library (2011 - 2012)
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, BYU Religious Studies Center (2012 - 2012)