Tyler was born and raised in Providence, Utah in the beautiful Cache Valley. After serving a mission in Brazil Curitiba, he returned home and married an Angel named Kiplin Crook. They have 10 children (5 boys and 5 girls). They love spending time in the mountains, playing board games, doing house projects, and being together. Tyler began his career by teaching seminary for 6 years in Brigham City, Utah. He spent the next seven years teaching at the Logan LDS Institute adjacent to Utah State University. One of his assignments there was working in the Seminary Preservice program (teaching and training potential seminary teachers). He also piloted and managed the launch of the online seminary program. He has taught here at BYU since August, 2010. He is a co-founder of BYU Virtual Scriptures Group which develops digital learning resources to enhance scriptural immersion and understanding. His bachelors degree was in Electrical Engineering and his masters and doctorate degrees are both in Instructional Technology. He authored When Heaven Feels Distant, co-authored Come Unto Me: Illuminating the Savior's Life, Mission, Parables, and Miracles, and co-edited Millions Shall Know Brother Joseph Again.
Research InterestsI am fascinated with finding ways to use technology to virtually immerse students in the scriptures. I also love researching pedagogy and instructional strategies to increase desired learner outcomes. I also love studying and learning more about doctrine. Finally, I am fascinated with teacher preservice and inservice theory and strategies.
Teaching InterestsI love teaching the Book of Mormon and the New Testament. I also love teaching the other Standard Works.
- PhD, Instructional Technology , Preservice Training through Distance Education, Utah State University (2007)
- Masters of Science, Instructional Technology , Distance Education and learning theories, Utah State University (2002)
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering , Utah State University (1998)
Honors and Awards
- Phi Eta Sigma's Outstanding Service to Freshman Class Award, College of Undergraduate Education, Office of First-Year Experience (2011 - 2012)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2014 - 2020)
- Board Member, Magna Publications, Online Seminars Advisory Board (2015 - 2017)
- Board Member, The Teaching Professor Technology Conference (2013 - 2016)